Wish List

Synergy data mining application developed by AdaptiveTradingSystems.com
CarlosR

Wish List

Post by CarlosR » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:57 pm

Hi James,

I thought I'd start a topic to list some items that I'd love to see in future editions of Synergy. Hopefully others will chime in as well.

1. When the "run walk-forward test" box is checked under the modeling run tab, when you go to stop the run it can take a long time to clear out the models that are still being processed. I'd be in favor of just stopping the run immediately, and possibly losing some models in the works.

2. Under the "Models" tab > Statistics, it would be nice to see a count for the number of short and long trades. Sometimes you get results that show a high return for a short trade, but that's because there's only one or two. It would be great to know how many of each there are at the time the run is being made.

jamess
Site Admin

Re: Wish List

Post by jamess » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:07 am

Hi Carlos,

"1. When the "run walk-forward test" box is checked under the modeling run tab, when you go to stop the run it can take a long time to clear out the models that are still being processed. I'd be in favor of just stopping the run immediately, and possibly losing some models in the works."

Are you using version 2.6.3 or later? Version 2.6.3 onward stops/pauses much faster then older versions.

"2. Under the "Models" tab > Statistics, it would be nice to see a count for the number of short and long trades. Sometimes you get results that show a high return for a short trade, but that's because there's only one or two. It would be great to know how many of each there are at the time the run is being made."

I'll add the long and short trade counts to version 2.6.5 today. The information is already being computed, I just need to add it to the report which takes less than 1 minute :)

Kind Regards,

James

CarlosR

Post by CarlosR » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:52 am

Hi James,

I was still on 2.6.1. I saw there were several new versions since that one, but I don't recall getting emails about them. Maybe I missed them over the holidays.

I've now downloaded 2.6.2, and saved my key models in that version. That was a pain, and I'm actually "sacrificing" some old models that I would like to be able to open in the future. I guess I can always go back and downgrade Synergy, right? (You probably don't need to hear this from me, but I would urge you to avoid making previous runs obsolete whenever possible)

I'll be looking forward to the new 2.6.5. I think I'll just skip to that from 2.6.2.

jamess
Site Admin

Post by jamess » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:58 am

Hi Carlos,

Apologies you dropped off my Synergy Users email list. I reinstalled the operating system on my laptop and manually recreated the email list. Somehow missed adding you. You are back on the list now. The latest version of Synergy is 2.6.4.

The upgrade path to version 2.6.4 is more difficult then usual due to a simplification of the XML format that the modeling runs are saved in. Here are the steps:

1. Install Synergy 2.6.2. (you have already done this)

2. Load a given modeling run, change the Load To date and then change it back to whatever setting you want for the Load To date. This step makes Synergy think there has been a change to the modeling run which enables saving.

3. Save the run.

4. Repeat from Step 2. for all modeling runs.

Then repeat from Step 1. installing Synergy 2.6.3 instead of 2.6.2.

Version 2.6.4 is 100% compatible with 2.6.3, so once all modeling runs are in the 2.6.3 format you can install version 2.6.4 with no need to do anymore loading and saving. All of the loading and saving sounds a bit daunting, but you can move through the modeling runs very quickly once you get started.

Changes to the XML format that modeling runs are saved in should be minimal moving forward. Hopefully, no further changes will be required. If the setup file for a particular version of Synergy that you need isn't available in the Member's Area then let me know and I will email it to you.

Kind Regards,

James

CarlosR

Post by CarlosR » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:59 pm

Thanks for getting me back on the list, James.

I don't think I'm going to be doing this any time soon, but following up on the discussion, it seems like it is possible to downgrade to an earlier version of Synergy by just running the file for that version, if I read your post right. And then one could upgrade back to the current version, right?

That leads me to a second question: is it possible to have two different versions of Synergy on my machine, so I could just start one for old models and another for new models? (not at the same time, of course)

jamess
Site Admin

Post by jamess » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:48 pm

Hi Carlos,

"it seems like it is possible to downgrade to an earlier version of Synergy by just running the file for that version"

You cannot revert a modeling run file back to an earlier version once it has been updated. You can always uninstall a later version of Synergy and install an older version to bring modeling runs up to date though. I have never tried running 2 versions of Synergy at the same time. For testing, I often uninstall the latest version and then install the older version.

If your modeling runs use Pinnacle data or other data that I can obtain then you could zip them up and email them to me. I can bring them up to date for you. If they all have a common parent folder then you could zip up that folder and all subfolders.

Best Regards,

James

CarlosR

Post by CarlosR » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:53 pm

Thanks for the offer, James, I think I can take care of it myself. It doesn't sound that difficult.

CarlosR

Post by CarlosR » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:45 pm

James,

I noticed that in the latest version of Synergy, the axis marks are in weird numbers, not the nice round numbers they were before. I do a lot of looking at the charts to figure out how well a given model is performing, and this makes it very hard to calculate rough gains over a period of time. Would it be possible to go back to the nice round numbers that the previous versions used?

Thanks much.

jamess
Site Admin

Post by jamess » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:50 am

Hi Carlos,

Is it the y-axis labels on the model performance charts? Are you seeing the numbers displayed to 2 decimal places or more? I'm seeing 2 decimal places displayed consistently. If you could attached a screen image it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

James

CarlosR

Post by CarlosR » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:51 pm

Hi James,

Attached is a screenshot. Decimals are to 2 places. But what I'm saying is that in earlier versions of Synergy, I seem to remember the labels being round numbers ending in zero, usually multiples of 5 or 10. So instead of 55.65 and 80.46, it would be 55 and 80. That makes it easy to compute gains in your head when you are looking at the chart.
chart labels.jpg
chart labels.jpg (50.59 KiB) Viewed 3970 times
Last edited by CarlosR on Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.